If you do not pay your tax bill

From your bank or building society account

If you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) can take the money you owe directly from your bank or building society account. This is called ‘direct recovery of debts’.

HMRC will only do this if you:

  • have repeatedly refused to pay what you owe
  • have received a face-to-face visit from them to discuss your debt
  • would have at least £5,000 in your account after they’ve taken the debt

If HMRC plans to take money from your account

HMRC will write to tell you:

  • what they plan to do
  • what the process will involve
  • how to contact them with any queries