HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will take ‘enforcement action’ to get the money if you do not pay your tax bill.

Some tax deadlines have been extended due to coronavirus (COVID-19). Find out what support is available.

You may be able to avoid enforcement action if you contact HMRC, for example if you’ve missed a payment or cannot pay on time.

There are a number of enforcement actions HMRC can take to get the tax you owe. They can:

If you do not pay your tax on time, you’ll probably have to pay interest on the outstanding amount. You may also have to pay a penalty or surcharge.

How to avoid enforcement action

Contact HMRC as soon as you can - you may be able to either:

  • get more time to pay
  • pay in instalments

You must contact HMRC if you disagree with a tax decision, for example the amount of tax you’re being asked to pay.