Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax

Apply for a vehicle tax exemption

Apply at a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax.

You need to take:

  • the log book (V5C) in your name
  • your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11), if you have one
  • an MOT certificate that’s valid when the tax starts, or evidence if your vehicle’s exempt from an MOT (V112)
  • an insurance certificate or cover note (only in Northern Ireland)

If you do not have the log book, download and fill in an application for a log book (V62). Take it to the Post Office with the £25 fee.

What happens next

  1. The Post Office sends your log book to DVLA.

  2. You’ll get a confirmation from DVLA within 10 working days that the change has been made.

  3. DVLA will send you an updated log book within 4 weeks.

  4. You’ll get a refund within 6 weeks (if you’re due one). Contact DVLA if it has not arrived after 6 weeks.

You can still use your vehicle while your application is being processed.