- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Part of:
- Government funding programmes
- 12 December 2012
- Last updated:
- 4 December 2015, see all updates
- Applies to:
Information on the Regional Growth Fund (RGF), including latest news and how to access the RGF and other funding sources.
The Regional Growth Fund (RGF) has supported eligible projects and programmes raising private sector investment to create economic growth and lasting employment. Since its launch in 2010 it has invested £2.6 billion to help local businesses grow and take on more staff across England.
On average for every £1 invested through the RGF, the private sector has put in £5.50 with the total investment of private sector support expected to be £16 billion. 187,000 jobs have already been created and a total of 557,000 are expected by the mid-2020s.
Following the 2015 Spending Review, no future rounds of the RGF are proposed.
Companies and programmes awarded grants through rounds 1 to 6 will continue to receive their funding.
RGF funding still available
RGF money is available through RGF programmes. RGF programmes are run by national or local organisations offering grants and/or loans to eligible businesses. If you run a business and are looking for funding of less than £1 million, you may be able to apply to an RGF programme.
You can also see what other support might be available to you by visiting the government’s business finance support finder.
Annual monitoring report
The third annual monitoring report covers the performance of RGF between Rounds 1 to 5.
Exceptional Regional Growth Fund (eRGF)
Ministers reserve the option to use the eRGF funding to respond quickly to significant economic shocks or exceptional bids that present an opportunity to secure internationally mobile investment. eRGF funding is strictly limited, only exceptionally strong bids will be supported and they will be subject to due diligence by BEIS.
Email: RGF Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any queries.
Published: 12 December 2012
Updated: 4 December 2015
- Updated to reflect changes to the Regional Growth Fund following the 2015 Spending Review.
- Round 6 successful bidders announced.
- The Regional Growth Fund bids for round 6 have been received.
- Update on round 6.
- Update on Regional Growth Fund application process.
- Added the date and venue for the London Eol event.
- Nottingham RGF roadshow details added.
- Link to Annual monitoring report 2014 on rounds 1 - 3 added.
- Change to address of YH 18 July expression of interest day
- Another YH date for Expression of Interest day added.
- Change of venue added for Plymouth and coventry roadshow. Also another date for YH expression of interest meetings.
- Regional Growth Fund Round 6 update added.
- Added map of the Round 5 selected projects.
- Selected bidders for Round 5 announced.
- NAO report update added
- Information on distribution of bids for Round 5 added.
- Bids for Round 5 of the Regional Growth Fund closed at midday.
- Round 5 is now open for bids
- Events table updated and contact details amended.
- Round 5 details updated.
- Updated to include Round 5.
- This guide has been turned into a general overview of the Regional Growth Fund. Two new guides (one for SMEs, one for RGF bidders) has been created to sit alongside this one; both are linked to from this guide.
- Added Legal bases for RGF section.
- Link added to a series of case studies about businesses that have been helped by funding from the Regional Growth Fund.
- Updated the RGF panels members list on 15 February 2013.
- New section on 'exceptional RGF' added on 11 February 2013.
- Round 4 eligibility criteria text made into bulleted list for clarity; new sentence added to make clear that applicants successful in previous rounds are eligible for round 4.
- Updated for the launch of Round 4 of the Regional Growth Fund.
- First published.
Part of: Government funding programmes
Related guides: Regional Growth Fund programmes guide