Report and record movements of sheep or goats to animal shows

Find out what records you need to keep of movements of sheep or goats to or from showgrounds, and how to report those movements.

You must keep records of all animals and livestock vehicles that pass through your showground, so they can be traced if a notifiable animal disease is suspected at your premises.

You won’t get a license to hold animal gatherings unless the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) are satisfied with your record keeping system.

Standstill requirements don’t apply to showgrounds.

Information you have to record

So that animals moved to and from your showground can be traced you must do one of the following:

  • complete sections 1, 5 and 6 of the sample holding register published by the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), when animals move to or from your showground
  • retain copies of all movement documents for moves to and from your showground

You must keep your records for 6 months.

Read more about how English sheep and goats are identified.

How to report animal movements

You must report the movement of sheep and goats to your showground through the Animal Reporting and Movements Service (ARAMS). You can do this either:

  • by completing the ARAMS-1 movement document that arrives with the animals and sending it to the address on the form
  • electronically through the ARAMS website, if you’re registered on ARAMS

Find out how to register on ARAMS and how to report movements to showgrounds via ARAMS.

If you’re electronically reporting a movement and the sender has already entered details on ARAMS, you only need to confirm details of the move.

If the sender didn’t enter details of the move you need to enter all of the required information, including the holding the animals were sent from and the haulier that transported the animals. You can find this information on the ARAMS-1 movement document sent with the animals.

If you’re reporting a movement electronically you also need to include the individual identity numbers of all adult animals, except for animals less than 12 months old that are identified by a single slaughter ear tag. You only need to record the flock/herd mark of these animals, which is a 6 digit number on the animal’s identity tag.

If the sending keeper scanned EIDs before sending the animals, you can download the individual identity numbers from ARAMs. If not they should be on the ARAMS-1 movement document that accompanies the animals. If they’re not, read the numbers from the animals’ identity tags.

You need to record sheep movements and goat movements separately.

Published 1 June 2014