Sheep and goat keepers: how to report animal movements

Find out how to report sheep or goat movements through the Livestock Information Service (LIS) electronically or in paper form.

Applies to England

You must provide details of any movement of sheep or goats to or from your farm to the Livestock Information Service (LIS), or you can call the LIS helpline from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday:

Telephone: 08445 730 137

Failure to report movements onto your holding is an offence and you could face penalties if you do not comply with the movement rules. A movement applies to any holdings that has a different County Parish Holding (CPH) number, even if the holding is within 10 miles and you own or rent it.

You do not need to tell LIS if the movement is to or from:

  • a vet (for emergency treatment)
  • land with the same CPH number
  • land bordering your holding with a different CPH number, where you send or receive animals from frequently, on foot and without contact with other livestock (find out how to record these moves in a holding register)
  • common land bordering your holding that you’ve registered as linked to your holding

Contact the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) helpline to apply to link your holding to a common.

Telephone: 03459 33 55 77

Options for making reports and notifications

Movements of animals onto your farm are called ‘on-movements’. Notices of on-movements are called ‘reports’.

Movements of animals off your farm are called ‘off-movements’. Notices of off-movements are called ‘notifications’.

You can make reports and notifications electronically if you set up an account on the LIS website.

There’s a guide to creating an account, or you can call the LIS helpline from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday:

Telephone: 08445 730 137

You can also call the helpline if you have problems entering information, or if you make a mistake when entering information.

You can also use your own farm management software to record and report moves, if it’s electronically linked to LIS. Speak to your software supplier if you have questions about linking electronically to LIS.

Farmers can submit reports to LIS on paper. Markets and abattoirs have to submit reports and notifications electronically, but farmers are still allowed to submit paper versions.

What to include in a movement document

You must complete sections 1 and 2 of a LIS-1 movement document when you move animals off your holding.

Download a sample LIS-1 movement document.

On the document you must state the:

  • address the animals are sent from
  • details of the haulier moving the animals
  • address the animals are sent to
  • total number of animals moved

You also need to include the animals’ individual identity numbers, unless:

  • you’re moving sheep to a Central Point Recording Centre (CPRC)
  • you’re moving animals to a holding where you’re still their keeper (eg if you’re moving animals between holdings that you own or rent but which have different CPHs)
  • the animals are identified as intended for slaughter by a single ear tag
  • the animals were identified before 2010 (they’re part of the ‘historic flock’) and you’re sending the animals directly to slaughter

Submit an off-movement notification electronically

You can notify a move online on LIS entering information from the section on what to include to a movement document.

Print a copy of the LIS-1 movement document for the haulier moving the animals (unless the haulier wants an electronic copy from you).

Print 2 copies of the LIS-1 movement document for the receiving keeper, unless either:

  • the receiving keeper also has an LIS account (as they can report receipt electronically)
  • the haulier takes an electronic copy and can print copies for the receiving keeper

Submit an off-movement notification on paper

You can download a copy of the LIS-1 movement document, or get paper copies from:

  • a market
  • some abattoirs
  • some local authorities

If you get a paper copy, the LIS-1 comes in quadruplicate (4 identical forms). Each sheet is a different colour depending on who it should go to.

If you print the PDF version of the LIS-1 movement document from the LIS website, print 4 copies.

Keep the sheet marked for the sending keeper for yourself, and give the other 3 copies to the haulier, who will keep one and give the other 2 to the receiving keeper.

Completing a movement document for a move to Central Point Recording Centre (CPRC)

Central Point Recording Centre (CPRCs) are holdings that will scan EIDs of animals when they arrive, and provide you with a list of the animals.

If you’re sending animals to a CPRC you only need to state the total number of animals you’re moving on the LIS-1 form. The CPRC will send you back the individual identity numbers of the animals for your records after they arrive.

If you want to use a CPRC service, check the holding you’re sending animals to is an approved CPRC and tick the CPRC box on your movement form.

At the moment CPRCs are generally markets, but some abattoirs may become CPRCs over time. View a list of approved CPRCs.

When you need to report an on-movement

You must report on-movement within 3 days of sheep or goats arriving on your holding.

The keeper that sent the animals can’t report that they’ve arrived on your behalf.

Report an on-movement electronically

You’ll be able to confirm details of an on-movement electronically through your LIS account, if the keeper that sent you animals entered the movement onto LIS.

If the sending keeper didn’t enter the move onto LIS, you can still electronically report the move by entering all of the on and off details of the move either:

  • directly on the LIS website
  • through your farm management software, if it’s linked to LIS

Alternatively, you can report the on-movement on paper if you’re a farmer keeper.

Unless both the off and on moves are reported electronically, you as the receiving keeper must keep a paper copy (or scan) of the incoming movement document for 3 years from the date the animal arrives on your holding.

Report an on-movement on paper

If you do not have a LIS account, or if the sending keeper has not entered details of a movement on LIS, you can:

As the receiving keeper, you must keep a copy of the movement report for 3 years from the date the animal arrives on your holding.

Standstill restrictions after sheep, goats, cattle or pigs arrive on your holding

If you move sheep, goats or cattle on to your land from a different CPH, you must not move any sheep, goats, cattle or pigs off your holding for 6 days.

If you move pigs on to your land from a different CPH, you must not move any:

  • sheep, goats or cattle off your holding for 6 days
  • pigs off your holding for 20 days

Read the exemptions to the standstill rule

Published 1 June 2014
Last updated 28 March 2022 + show all updates
  1. Due to the launch of a new movement reporting system, updated the guidance and links from the Animal Reporting and Movement Service (ARAMS) to the Livestock Information Service (LIS). Renamed section ‘what to include in an off-movement notification’ to ‘what to include in a movement document’. It’s no longer recommended you re-tag animals identified before 2010 with a pair of identifiers that includes an electronic identifier (EID) to make recording and reporting easier. Updated email contact details from to

  2. Updated standstill restrictions to add link to full list of exemptions.

  3. Added the requirement for receiving keepers to retain copies of movement reports for 3 years from the date of an animal arriving on their holding unless both off and on movements have been recorded electronically.

  4. First published.