The Recovery Loan Scheme supports access to finance for UK businesses as they grow and recover from the disruption of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Recovery Loan Scheme is currently open to businesses of any size to support them to access loans and other kinds of finance so they can recover after the pandemic and transition period.
Up to £10 million is available per business. The actual amount offered and the terms are at the discretion of participating lenders.
The government guarantees 80% of the finance to the lender. As the borrower, you are always 100% liable for the debt.
Loans are available through a network of accredited lenders, listed on the British Business Bank’s website.
You can apply for a loan if your business:
- is trading in the UK
You need to show that your business:
- would be viable were it not for the pandemic
- has been adversely impacted by the pandemic
- is not in collective insolvency proceedings (unless your business is in scope of the Northern Ireland Protocol in which case different eligibility rules may apply)
Business that received support under the earlier COVID-19 guaranteed loan schemes are still eligible to access finance under this scheme if they meet all other eligibility criteria.
Who cannot apply
Businesses from any sector can apply, except:
- banks, building societies, insurers and reinsurers (but not insurance brokers)
- public-sector bodies
- state-funded primary and secondary schools
What you can get
- term loans or overdrafts of between £25,001 and £10 million per business
- invoice or asset finance of between £1,000 and £10 million per business
No personal guarantees will be taken on facilities up to £250,000, and a borrower’s principal private residence cannot be taken as security.
How long the loan is for
The maximum length of the facility depends on the type of finance you apply for and will be:
- up to 3 years for overdrafts and invoice finance facilities
- up to 6 years for loans and asset finance facilities
Changes from 1 January 2022
At Autumn Budget 2021, the Chancellor announced that the Recovery Loan Scheme would be extended until 30 June 2022.
From 1 January 2022, the following changes will come into force:
- The scheme will only be open to small and medium sized enterprises
- The maximum amount of finance available will be £2 million per business
- The guarantee coverage that the government will provide to lenders will be reduced to 70%
These changes will apply to all offers made from 1 January 2022.
How to apply
Find a lender accredited to offer Recovery Loans from the list on the British Business Bank website:
More information for businesses about the scheme is also available on the British Business Bank site.