Notarial and documentary services guide for Libya
Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at the British Embassy Tripoli.
The British embassy in Libya provides a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals. An appointment must be made for each service.
If there is no specific formal requirement for a notarial service or certificate to be provided by the British embassy, then a local notary or lawyer may provide these services more conveniently, quickly and cheaply than the British embassy. You should check with the relevant authority (eg Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Ministry of Education/registry office/university/educational establishment etc) either in the UK, Libya or a third country, to ensure that our consular certificate or service will be accepted.
The British embassy cannot confirm this information, only the relevant authority can provide this confirmation.
Refunds of consular fees are not given for certificates or notarial services that are not accepted by the requesting authority. Fees for notarial and documentary services are paid at the embassy on the day of the appointment and can only be paid in cash using local currency.
Services we provide in Libya
- attesting or legalising a signature or seal
- preparing and/or signing a declaration of existence (except if required by the British government)
- administering an oath/affirmation
- witnessing a signature
- making or verifying a copy of a document (certifying copies of British passports)
- administer oath of allegiance for British citizenship
- preparing a document not listed in English
- preparing a document not listed in Arabic
If you cannot find what you are looking for, please refer to the list of services which may be provided elsewhere.
Book an appointment for a notarial act or certificate
You must have an appointment to visit the consular section. To make an appointment email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and specify the service you require.
Services provided by other authorities
- legalising UK documents/certificates: Legalisation Office
- provide copies of British birth, death & marriage certificates: General Register Office
- information on marriage in the UK
- yachting and sailing certificates: RYA
- certify your fingerprints: Metropolitan Police UK
- pension certificates: DWP
- taxation & UK National Insurance contributions certificates: HMRC
- renew British driving licences or provide certificates regarding British driving licences: DVLA
- provide good conduct certificates (except for Hong Kong), CRB or AntecedentesPenales
- certificates confirming British nationality: UK Border Agency
- certificates proving you are not British
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK Government departments and public authorities.
This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.