Manila amendments and how they affect seafarer training and certificates
Information about new standards of training certification and watchkeeping (STCW) requirements.
This guide relates to the 2010 STCW Manila amendments to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch Keeping for Seafarers, 1978. This information is specifically about new training requirements for all seafarers.
Revalidation of CoCs
Seafarers revalidating their certificates of competency (CoC) will need to submit additional evidence to make sure their certificate is valid for service on certain types of ships after 31 December 2016.
Find out more about these requirements in the marine shipping note below.
- MSN 1861 (M) revalidating a certificate of competency: new requirements for masters and officers
Find out more about the new requirements for security training for shipboard personnel in the marine shipping note below.
- MSN 1865 (M) UK requirements for emergency, occupational safety, security, medical care and survival functions.
Find a list of MCA approved training providers for security awareness and designated security: approved training providers ATP.
UK requirements for emergency, occupational safety, security, medical care and survival functions.
Human element, leadership and management training (HELM)
Find out more about HELM in the marine shipping note below.
- MSN 1856 for deck merchant navy officers (section 10.4, page 12)
- MSN 1857 for engine merchant navy (section 6.5, page 17)
- MSN 1858 for deck yacht officers (section 5.7, page 12 )
- MSN 1859 for engineer yacht officers (section 6.2, page 11 )
- MSN 1860 for electro-technical officers (section 7.6, page 10)
Electro technical officer (ETO) certificates
Find out more about the UK requirements for electro-technical officer CoC and download an application form.
- MSF 4259 Application for an oral examination leading to the issue of a certificate of competency (STCW) for electro technical officers.
If you are serving onboard ship or applying for a UK CoC, and are qualified in any of the following, from the 1st January 2017 you must have documentary evidence of either having completed the training course or updated your training within the last 5 years for;
- Personal Survival Techniques (PST) STCW code (Table A-VI/1-1)
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FP&FF) STCW code (Table A-VI/1-2)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than fast rescue boats (PSC&RB) STCW code (Table A-VI/2-1)
- Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB) STCW code (Table A-VI/2-2)
- Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF) STCW code (Table A-VI/3)
Tables showing which updating training is required for the holders of CoCs and Certificates of Proficiency (CoP) are available in MSN 1865 (Annex A, pages 12 to 14). MCA approved training centres conducting refresher training and seafarers requiring this training should refer to MIN 520 for further information. Find out more about the requirements for updating training in the marine notices below.
- MSN 1865(M) Requirements for updating training in accordance with the 2010 Manila Amendments to the STCW Convention 1978.
- MIN 520 (M) Clarification on the Requirements for Updating Ancillary & Safety Training and Completing Tanker Training.
Information for training providers regarding basic and advanced tanker endorsements.
MCA approved training centres conducting tanker training, and seafarers who need to obtain a tanker endorsement should refer to MIN 520 and MSN 1866. Find out more about the requirements for updating training in the marine notices below.
Published: 6 May 2014
Updated: 27 January 2016
- Changes to updating training and tanker training
- "MIN 482 (M) Human element, leadership and management training" has replaced "MIN 455 Human element, leadership and management training"
- First published.