This guide explains how academies are paid and how to change bank details.
Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) is responsible for paying academies in accordance with the terms set out in the academy’s funding agreement. The General Annual Grant (GAG) is the name for an academy’s main revenue funding. We issue a monthly remittance note for each payment.
Remittance advice note
We’ve produced a brief guide to help academies understand their remittance advice note.
Pre- and post-16 revenue GAG funding
We fund academies on an academic rather than financial year basis. We send the monthly GAG payments via BACS to arrive in the academy’s nominated bank account on the first working day of each month. We distribute GAG funding in equal instalments throughout the year. This ensures consistency across all state-funded schools. The first payment for the 2017 to 2018 academic year is in September 2017.
Academies revenue funding allocations provides information on how we calculate an academy’s allocation.
We’ve uploaded academy payment schedules for 2017 to 2018 to Information Exchange. They’re saved in the Document Exchange ‘revenue funding’ folder under the 2017 to 2018 academic year. Academies can access Document Exchange by logging into Information Exchange, and choosing the Document Exchange tab at the top of the page.
Academy payments schedule for main revenue funding streams 2017 to 2018
|Revenue funding stream||Grant type||Frequency|
|Pre- and post-16 GAG funding||Academic year||Equal monthly instalments|
|Start up funding (SUG) A||Academic year||3 front loaded instalments|
|Start up funding (SUG) B||Academic year||Equal monthly instalments|
|Post opening grant per pupil resources (POG PPR)||Academic year||3 front loaded instalments|
|Post opening grant leadership diseconomies (POG LD)||Academic year||Equal monthly instalments|
|Post-16 GAG funding||Academic year||Equal monthly instalments|
|Post-16 bursary funding||Academic year||2 instalments: September and April|
|Pupil premium||Financial year||4 instalments: July, October, January and April|
|Universal infant free school meals (UIFSM)||Academic year||2 instalments: July 2017 and July 2018|
|PE and sports grant||Financial year||1 payment: November|
|Year 7 catch-up premium||Financial year||1 payment: March|
Pupil premium is additional funding given to publicly-funded schools in England and provides funding for two policies:
- raising the attainment of disadvantaged pupils and closing the gap with their peers
- supporting children and young people with parents in the regular armed forces
We calculate pupil premium on a financial-year basis and pay in quarterly instalments. We’ll make payments in July and October 2017 and January and April 2018.
We pay pupil premium grant separately to GAG payments and issue separate remittance advice.
In December 2016 we published the pupil premium conditions of grant for the 2017 to 2018 financial year. We published allocations for the 2017 to 2018 financial year in July 2017 based on January 2017 school census data.
Universal infant free school meals (UIFSM)
All pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England are eligible for free school meals. This includes academies, free schools, pupil referral units and alternative provision, as well as maintained schools.
You can find further information in UIFSM guide for local authorities and schools. We expect to publish final allocations for 2017 to 2018 in June 2018.
Year 7 catch-up premium
Information about allocations for pupils who did not achieve the expected level in reading and/or mathematics at key stage 2 can be found in the year 7 catch-up premium: 2016 to 2017 allocations.
In July 2017 we published information on the arrangements for 2017 to 2018. We’ll publish allocations for the 2017 to 2018 financial year in February 2018.
PE and sport grant allocations
The PE and sport grant is additional funding given to publicly-funded schools in England to improve physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
You can find further information in guidance on the PE and sport premium, including details of allocations and advice on how to spend the funding.
Changes to bank details
If you wish to change the bank details held by ESFA for payment, please complete the academy bank details form.
Queries about payments
For any other queries about payments, please contact the ESFA enquiry service.
Contact form https://form.education...
For all enquiries for the Education and Skills Funding Agency
Published: 11 March 2014
Updated: 19 September 2017
- We've updated this for the 2017 to 2018 academic year
- Updated information and links to further guidance for the 2016 to 2017 academic year.
- Updated with 2015 to 2016 academic year information
- Year 7 catch-up premium link added
- Updates to universal infant free schools meals (UIFSM) and pupil premium sections added.
- The Education Funding Agency (EFA) has published a new form for academies to use to notify EFA of any changes to their bank details.
- Information about PE and sport grant allocations revised
- Conditions of grant for UIFSM and pupil premium 2014 to 2015 payments added
- New email address added for academies changing their bank account details.
- Summer schools conditions of grant for the 2014 to 2015 academic year added.
- Updated payment dates, information added about pupil premium payments, universal infant free school meals (UIFSM), summer schools and PE and sport grant allocations.
- Updated to provide a link to the claim form for national non-domestic rates for 2014 to 2015
- First published.