Czech Republic: providing services and travelling for business

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to the Czech Republic.

Read this page in combination with the general guidance for the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

The authoritative source for Czech market regulations is the Czech government. This guidance links to official Czech sources wherever possible.

Czech rules

The Czech government has legislation that applies to:

  • the movement of people and goods between the 2 countries
  • British people living in Czech Republic
  • Czech people living in the UK who return to Czech Republic

Find out how these Czech rules may affect your business on the Czech government’s site for business.

Czech trade and services regulations

If you are a UK business providing services in the Czech Republic, you need to follow regulations about:

  • getting authorisations or licences to provide a service
  • complying with specific local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Czech e-government portal for service providers (in Czech) can help you to:

  • find out about providing services in the Czech Republic
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in the Czech Republic to help you comply with specific regulations.

To find out if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

You can also read guidance published by the Czech government for foreign nationals and foreign companies.

VAT on sales of digital services

To use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to EU consumers, businesses need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of companies registered in the Czech Republic

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in the Czech Republic or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

If you are a UK legal professional who has investments in law firms in the Czech Republic, you should contact the Bar Association of the Czech Republic (site in Czech) for information on the implications for your investment.

Business travel and entry requirements

As part of the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the UK and the EU have agreed provisions to facilitate the movement of business travellers, including those who supply services.

See the latest information on travel to Europe.

The Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs and State Labour Inspection Office have more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in the Czech Republic.

Recognition of professional qualifications

To check what you need to do in the Czech Republic read our guidance on professional qualifications in the EEA and Switzerland.

The Czech Republic has published guidance on professional qualifications for UK citizens in their Q&A.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in the Czech Republic, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in the Czech Republic

For UK statutory auditors, the Public Audit Oversight Board of the Czech Republic should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in the Czech Republic

If you are a UK-qualified lawyer working in the Czech Republic, using either a Czech or UK professional title, you should contact the Czech Bar Association (site in Czech) for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

As part of the wider UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the free flow of personal data from the Czech Republic to the UK will continue after 1 January 2021 for no longer than 6 months, until adequacy decisions come into effect.

As a sensible precaution during this 6 month period, it is recommended that you work organisations in Czech Republic who transfer personal data to you to put in place alternative transfer mechanisms to safeguard against any interruption to the free flow of EU to UK personal data.

Read guidance on using personal data in your business or other organisation.

Published 11 March 2019
Last updated 28 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated the following sections to reflect the changes created by the UK and EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement: overview, trade regulations, VAT on sales of digital services, business travel and entry requirements, social security payments for employees, recognition of professional qualifications, and data transfer and GDPR.

  2. Guidance for ‘Recognition of professional qualifications’ and ‘Social security payments for employees’ updated.

  3. Change to title to include travelling for business

  4. Update to 'Business travel and entry requirements' section

  5. First published.