Applying for quota to produce or import F gas

You need a quota to produce or import hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) - the most common type of fluorinated gas (F gas).

You must first join the EU HFC registry if you want to produce or import:

  • HFCs
  • equipment containing HFCs

If you placed HFCs on the market between 2015 and 2016 you’re an incumbent quota holder. The European Commission gives you a quota each year based on your market share.

Each year you may apply for a quota to produce HFCs or import them to the UK if you want to:

  • produce or import HFCs equivalent to 100 tonnes or more of carbon dioxide in a year for the first time
  • increase your quota if you’re an incumbent quota holder

Find out how to calculate the weight of an F gas in carbon dioxide equivalent

Once you have quota you can:

The EU is phasing down HFCs by 79% by 2030 from a 2012 baseline, so you may need to look for alternatives.

Published 7 October 2019