Find out about the new online service HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is developing for tax agents and advisers.
Agent Online Self Serve is being designed by HMRC to improve online services for agents. Once live, the service will:
- make it easier and quicker to register with HMRC as an agent
- let you confirm and update your client list
- let you access your services and view your clients’ records in one place
- help you keep your clients’ tax affairs up to date
- let you carry out the same online tasks as your clients
- reduce your need to contact HMRC
- reduce costs for both you and HMRC
Development of the new service
HMRC is regularly testing the service with agents as it is built and feedback will be used to refine and improve it.
Volunteer agents, (with up to 200 clients in each of the PAYE, Corporation Tax, VAT and Self Assessment tax regimes), are currently being sought to participate in testing of a private beta live service. Agents wishing to join the trial should visit the Tax Agent Blog for details on how to register.
You should try and make sure your client lists are up to date. This will be important for the transition to the new service. HMRC will tell you what you need to do before the changes are introduced, so you have time to prepare.
HMRC planned to combine access to Agent Online Self Serve with an identity assurance process. But feedback showed you would prefer to use the Government Gateway to log in, so this has been built into the service for testing.