Use Self Assessment software to help you populate your client's Self Assessment tax return if you're a tax agent or adviser.
Some commercial Self Assessment software includes a feature that allows you to get details from HMRC to help you complete your client’s tax return, including:
- PAYE details – such as their income from employment and private pensions
- taxable social security benefits
- National Insurance details if they’re self-employed
- Marriage Allowance information
What you’ll need
To use the feature you’ll need:
- authorisation to act on behalf of your client
- compatible Self Assessment software - check if your software supplier includes the feature
- an HMRC online services for agents account that is registered with Self Assessment for Agents
Someone who is authorised to act for your organisation will also need to complete an identity check when they sign in to your HMRC online account.
How to use the feature
If your software is compatible, it will ask you to grant authority to access the data from HMRC on your behalf. The authority lasts for 18 months - you can check or withdraw your permissions at any time.
Once you have allowed your software to contact HMRC it will be able to get your client’s information when you need it.
If you have different team members
If you have set up team members and allocated clients to them within your HMRC online services for agents account, you will only be able to access your own clients.
You can check your team members and clients by signing in to your account.
If you have different Agent SA codes
If you have more than one Agent SA Code you’ll have an HMRC online services for agents account for each Agent SA Code.
Contact your software supplier to see if your software supports more than one account, and how to set the feature up.
If you have problems using the feature you should contact:
- your software supplier
- the HMRC Online Services Helpdesk
Contact the HMRC Agent Dedicated Line If you think the details that you have received from HMRC are wrong.