Advice and Support for LGBT people

This guidance provides information and links to services and guidance for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.

Need Help?

It’s important you get the help and support you need.

If you need help and advice on any issue, the following organisations are experienced in dealing with your concerns. Some of these organisations also provide counselling advice.

Always remember, if you are ever in immediate danger you should always call 999.

Equality and human rights issues

Equality Advisory and Support Service (England, Scotland, Wales) offer free, confidential advice and support if you feel you have been discriminated against or if you feel your human rights have been breached.

Travel advice

GOV.UK offers travel advice specifically for LGB&T people travelling abroad. Click here for country or territory specific advice.

Revenge Porn

Revenge Porn Helpline provide free, confidential advice and support for all victims of revenge porn.

Hate crime

True Vision provide advice on hate crime, how to report it, and where to get support .

GOV.UK also provides advice on how to report hate crime.

Trans health

NHS offers transgender health advice and support.

The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust’s Gender Identity Development Service offers health advice and support to young people presenting with difficulties with their gender identity.

LGB health advice

NHS offers LGB health information and support.

Domestic abuse

Galop is a national LGB&T domestic abuse helpline.

Young people under 25

The Mix (formerly Get Connected) provide phone, email or web chat support on any issue. Also includes a comprehensive searchable directory of other LGB&T support services.

Children and young people up to the age of 19

Childline provides free, confidential advice, support and counselling on any issue.

If you require emotional support

Samaritans provides emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide.

If you need more information or guidance on your rights, the following links below might be helpful.

Gender Identity

Information on Application for a Gender Recognition Certificate (and how this interacts with marriage.)


How to apply for a Marriage or Civil Partnership in the UK.


There is a range of guidance and advice on your rights.

GOV.UK has information on discrimination and your rights.

Guidance for employers and service providers on supporting and including transgender customers and recruiting and retaining transgender staff.

Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance for workers.

Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance for service users.

There is also information on the Public Sector Equality Duty.


Information on how to get a historical conviction for consensual gay sex deleted from the record.

Published 21 June 2016