Chargé d’Affaires, Tehran
The British Embassy in Iran is responsible for developing and maintaining relations between the UK and Iran.
Services for British nationals
If you’re in Iran and you urgently need consular assistance (eg if you’ve been injured in an accident, arrested or there has been a death of a British national), call +98 (0) 21 6405 2000. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Madrid, call 020 7008 1500.
Get or renew a passport
The British Embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.
Get an emergency travel document
You can apply for an emergency travel document (ETD) if you’re abroad and and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.
If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible. Otherwise, make an appointment at your nearest consulate. Call us before making an appointment if you’ve never applied for a British passport before or if you’re applying for a child under the age of 16.
Get a visa
The British Embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.
If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa
If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.
For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.
Register a birth or death
If you’re in the country where the death occurred contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.
Support if you’ve been arrested
We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours* of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
*Please be aware that the Iranian authorities don’t recognise dual nationality for Iranian citizens and therefore don’t grant consular access for FCO officials to visit dual UK/Iranian citizens in detention. If you are a dual UK and Iranian national, you will only be considered as Iranian while in Iran. British Embassy staff will not be granted any access to you and will not formally be able to provide you with consular assistance in Iran.
The embassy does not provide legalisation services.
Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad
For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
What the embassy cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we also cannot:
- help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
- formally provide consular assistance to UK/Iranian dual nationals in Iran
Deputy Head of Mission, Tehran
British Embassy in Tehran
198 Ferdowsi Avenue
Telephone: +98 ( 0)21 6405 2000
If you require routine consular assistance in Iran you should contact +98 ( 0)21 6405 2000 Sunday - Thursday (inclusive) 07.30 - 14.30. If you need to visit the British embassy for a consular issue you will need to make an appointment in advance using the above contact number.
In an emergency, including if you need an emergency travel document (ETD), you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on +44 20 7008 1500 (24 hours).