We develop and maintain close bilateral relations with Uganda, in accordance with British government policies.

We are responsible for the political relationship between the UK and Uganda, and we provide advice and guidance on political and governance issues.

We provide assistance and documentary services to British nationals in Uganda. The UK Trade and Investment Section provides assistance to both British and Ugandan businesses.

Our services


This High Commission does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.

Births, deaths and marriages

Information on how you can register a birth or death which occurred overseas, and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.


How to renew or replace your British passport when visiting the UK and information on getting replacement travel documents if your passport is lost or stolen.

Emergency travel documents

We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible. For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at your nearest consulate using the links below. Please call your nearest consulate for advice before making an appointment if:

  • you have never applied for a British passport before
  • you are applying on behalf of a child

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document in Kampala

Travel advice

Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, with links to our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.

Notarial services

For legal reasons we cannot provide notarial services, administer oaths or take affidavits in Commonwealth countries. You should contact a local notary. A standard letter is available to confirm we do not offer these services in Uganda

Prepare a document in English in case of death

In case of death, we can provide a letter to the local authorities to facilitate a local cremation or a Laissez-Passer for remains which are being repatriated to the UK.

The wording must be cleared with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London, which means these documents will take longer to prepare. We can only provide this service if we have proof that the wording/content you require is correct and unambiguous. This service is provided at the discretion of consular staff and we can refuse to provide it. Please contact the High Commission before making an appointment. What you will need to bring with you:

  • The wording or content and proof it is correct and unambiguous
  • Proof of identity/address. We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity. We accept We accept a letter from your Local Council as proof of your address.
  • The correct fee – see the list of fees. We accept payment by cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment.

Book an appointment to prepare a document in English in Kampala

Legalisation Service

How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.

Our people

Alison Blackburne

Alison Blackburne

British High Commissioner to Uganda

    Contact us

    British High Commission Kampala

    British High Commission
    4 Windsor Loop, P. O. Box 7070

    Access and opening times