British Ambassador to Lithuania
We work to improve trade and investment between Britain and Lithuania, developing strong political, economic, cultural and defence ties.
We provide protection to British nationals and work in partnership with the Lithuanian government on shared EU and International priorities.
Emergency travel documents
We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible.
For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at the Embassy using the link below. Please call the Embassy for advice before making an appointment if:
- you have never applied for a British passport before
- you are applying on behalf of a child
An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.
For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply go to the UK Border Agency website.
Please note that the Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about visa applications. For all visa enquiries, please contact the UK Border Agency.
Notarial and documentary services
Information about official documents, certificates, and notes available at the Consular section in British Embassy Vilnius. Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.
Registering a birth or death
Understanding your legal requirements in Lithuania and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
List of lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and interpreters who may be able to help you with official transactions in Lithuania. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in our Consular section.
What our consular section cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
Travel advice for Lithuania
Travel advice for Lithuania. Information, news and updates for Lithuania to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in Lithuania.
Lithuania - Prisoner Pack: explanation of the legal and prison system to British nationals.