We work to reinvigorate and enhance the relationship between the UK and Laos following the re-establishment of a British Embassy in Laos in late 2012.

We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Lao governments, supporting UK-Lao trade and investment, and supporting British policies, interests and values in political and economic relations.

We will also be cooperating with international and local agencies to address global challenges including organised crime, climate change, and regional security and prosperity. We work closely with Lao government and private sector to encourage bilateral trade and investment. We provide high-quality consular services to British nationals visiting or living in Laos.

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Laos and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +856 (0) 30 770 0000. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Laos, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

If your passport has been lost or stolen, after obtaining a police report, you will need to get a certificate of loss from the Lao immigration department which can take 1-2 working days.

After receiving an ETD, you will need to apply for an exit visa from the Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs before leaving Laos. This can take up to 3 working days.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at British Embassy in Vientiane.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Laos, see travel advice for Laos.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.


We can issue affirmations of marital status and, in some circumstances, perform a marriage or civil partnership for British nationals. For information on getting married in Laos, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death in Laos. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Laos and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Laos. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit; make a certified copy of a document or witness a signature. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

The British Embassy Vientiane provides legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Laos. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.


translators and interpreters

funeral directors

medical facilities and practitioners

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

• provide information about transferring funds

• provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

• help people with mental illness

• offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping

• contact family or friends for you if you want

• make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Laos

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

• help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid

• give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.

• get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people

• pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)

• make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation

• make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Laos .

Our people

Hugh Evans

Hugh Evans

British Ambassador to Laos

  • James Toone

    Deputy Head of Mission, British Embassy Vientiane

Contact us

British Embassy Vientiane

Rue Yokkabat
Saysettha District,


Monday to Friday:
8.30am to 4.30pm (office hours)

Consular opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 8.30am to 11.30am (local time)

Access and opening times

Visa section

Residents of Laos who wish to apply for a UK visa must contact the visa application centre in Bangkok, Thailand. For more information, please see the "Visas" link on top of our main page.

Access and opening times

Consular services

Rue Yokkabat

Saysettha District

Access and opening times