British Ambassador to Tunisia
We support cooperation between the UK and Tunisia in a wide range of fields. We also provide a range of services to the UK and Tunisian public.
Through our different departments we contribute to the UK government’s understanding of Tunisia’s political and governance system, we develop opportunities for commercial partnerships between UK and Tunisian companies, we provide assistance to British citizens in distress, and we accept passport applications for British citizens in Tunisia.
Services for British nationals
If you’re in Tunisia and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +216 71 108 700. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Tunisia, call 020 7008 1500.
Get or renew a passport
The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.
Get an emergency travel document
If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.
- are over 16 years old and
- are a British citizen and
- have previously owned a British passport
- over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
- not a British citizen or
- applying for a child under 16 years old
Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at British Embassy Tunis.
Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Tunisia, see travel advice for Tunisia.
Get a visa
The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.
If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.
If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.
For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.
We can issue certificates of no impediment to enable British nationals to marry in Tunisia. For information on getting married in Tunisia and how to apply for documents, see getting married abroad.
Download Marriage Information Note
We have produced the following information note that you can download free of charge to present to the local authorities. NOTE-Recognition or Validity of Marriage
Register a birth or death
If the death occurred in Tunisia and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.
Support if you’ve been arrested
We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Tunisia. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
Notarial and documentary services
We may be able to offer notarial services, including oaths, affirmations and affidavits, and certified copies of British passports and driving licences See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.
The British Embassy Tunis does not provide legalisation services. Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised -certified as genuine-.
Local service providers
Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Tunisia. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.
Services provided elsewhere
The consulate no longer provides life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of professionals who can witness a life certificate.
Legalise a document
This service is for customers who require confirmation that the signature, seal or stamp on a document is genuine. It does not certify the authenticity or a document or give approval of its content. UK public documents can be legalised by the [Legalisation Office] (https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised).
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad
For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
General information on living in Tunisia
What the embassy cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Tunisia
British Embassy Tunis, main contact
Rue du Lac Windermere
Les Berges du Lac
Telephone +216 71 108 700
Fax Management +216 71 108 749
Fax Consular +216 71 108 779
Fax Commercial +216 71 108 749
Office hours: Monday to Thursday, 8.00am to 4.30pm (local time)
Friday 8.00am to 1.00pm (local time)
Consular opening Hours Summer and Winter: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday From 9.00am To 12.00pm (Local time), Wednesday Closed
Consular Enquiries : email@example.com
Commercial Enquiries : UKTITunis.firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Enquiries: BritishEmbassyTunis@fco.gov.uk
British Honorary Consulate Sousse
British Honorary Consulate
Immeuble Gloulou II
Ave Mohamed Marouf
Telephone +216 71 108 700