The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:
- the Chaambi Mountains National Park and the designated military operations zones of Mount Salloum, Mount Sammamma and Mount Mghila
- the militarised zone south of the towns of El Borma and Dhehiba
- within 20km of the rest of the Libya border area north of Dhehiba
- the town of Ben Guerdane and immediate surrounding area
The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:
- areas south of, and including, the towns of Nefta, Douz, Médenine, Zarzis
- within 30km of the border with Algeria south of, and including, the town of Jendouba (this area includes the archaeological sites of Bulla Regia and Chemtou)
- the governorate of Kasserine, including the town of Sbeitla
A state of emergency is in effect in Tunisia, imposed after a suicide attack on a police bus on 24 November 2015. It’s been extended a number of times, most recently on 12 March 2018 by 7 months.
Since the terrorist attack in Sousse in June 2015, which targeted tourists, the UK government has been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups. The Tunisian government has improved protective security in major cities and tourist resorts.
But terrorists are still very likely to try to carry out attacks in Tunisia. Security forces remain on a high state of alert in Tunis and other places. You should be vigilant at all times, including around religious sites and festivals. Follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities and your travel company if you have one. See Terrorism
There were widespread protests in January 2018 driven by economic tensions. Demonstrations often occur in Tunisia, though the majority are peaceful. However, some have affected key services, disrupted traffic or included violence.
You can contact the emergency services by calling 197 (police), 190 (ambulance) or 198 (civil protection).
If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.
Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.