British Ambassador to Burundi
We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and Burundi.
The British Embassy Liaison Office is a subordinate Post to the British High Commission in Kigali. We deal with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Burundi. The British Embassy Liaison Office in Bujumbura can offer limited consular assistance to British Nationals in Burundi.
We provide limited consular assistance to British Nationals in Burundi. We facilitate the renewal of British Passports for British Nationals in Burundi.
We support British businesses looking to expand their business interests in Burundi.
The British Embassy Liaison Office Opening Hours are as follows:
Monday - Thursday : 800-1230 / 1400- 1730
Friday : 800-1200
Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, with links to our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.
This British Embassy Liaison Office does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please seeUK Visas & Immigration.
From 14 January 2015, UK birth registrations and death registrations in Rwanda will transfer from the British High Commission Kigali to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the UK.
There are no changes to the entitlement to register a birth or death. The processing time will remain the same. However, you will now need to allow extra time for the documents to be sent to and from the UK. See register a birth or register a death and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by the foreign authorities. The UK does not require any document to be legalised for use within the UK.
Information on the kind of help we can provide to British nationals who find themselves in difficulty overseas is set in our publication.
We provide a list of lawyers in Burundi please, follow this link to see the list List of Lawyers.
A list of medical facilities who may be able to help you in Burundi. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy Liaison Office or the UK government.
Details of how to apply for a Police Clearance certificate can be found here.
A list of English speaking interpreters/translators who may be able to help you with official translations in Burundi. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy Liaison Office or the UK government.
Information for British nationals arrested and imprisoned in Rwanda can be found here: Burundi - Prisoner pack
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
• provide information about transferring funds.
• help people with mental illness.
• provide details of local lawyers and funeral directors.
• do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained.
• contact family or friends for you if you want.
• make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters.
What the British Embassy Liaison Office cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
• get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
• help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
• give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
• get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
• pay any bills or give you money
• make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
• make business arrangements on your behalf
• issue a full British passport
Deputy High Commissioner, British High Commission Kigali
British Embassy Liaison Office Bujumbura