We have an 80% Ecuadorean staff, working hard to encourage better and stronger relations between Ecuador and the UK.

Our work covers a range of issues including political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Ecuador.

Services for British nationals

We also provide consular assistance services through our Honorary Consulates in Guayaquil, Cuenca and Galapagos.

Check our opening hours

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Ecuador and you urgently need help (eg. if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call (593) (2) 3972 200 and follow the instructions for an emergency. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Ecuador, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

If your passport has been lost or stolen you will need a police report before an emergency travel document can be issued. You can obtain a police report by completing a form with a police or judicial local agency. There is an online tool for tourists to report robbery or loss of documents and another one for general customers.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to book an appointment for an emergency travel document at British Embassy Quito.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Ecuador, see travel advice for Ecuador.

Enjoy Ecuador - travel safety pocket guide

The Enjoy Ecuador - travel safety pocket guide provides information on what the embassy can and cannot do, as well as safety tips for tourists and useful local contact details for various local procedures. A map of Ecuador and Quito is also included.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We can issue affirmations or affidavits of marital status. For information on getting married in Ecuador, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Ecuador. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Ecuador and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad. See the Embassy’s bereavement information pack and a list of Funeral Directors in Ecuador.

See also: International Funeral Directors in the UK

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Ecuador. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

The British Embassy in Quito does not provide legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services for Ecuador for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Please note that any education documents, such as degree certificates, must be signed first by a UK public notary. If you wish to legalise an educational document issued in the UK, please check the Faculty Office website to find a UK notary.

Please note you will need to check with the notary whether they are able to receive the document from Ecuador without you attending in person, and whether they would able to assist you by sending the document directly to the Legalisation Office (certified as genuine) for you. The Embassy cannot recommend any particular notary.

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Ecuador. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Ecuador.

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of Ecuador – Consular Fees.

Our people

Katherine Ward  LVO

Katherine Ward LVO

British Ambassador to Ecuador

  • Piers Craven

    Deputy Head of Mission, British Embassy Quito

Contact us

British Embassy Quito

Citiplaza Building,
Naciones Unidas Avenue and República de El Salvador,
14th Floor
PO Box 17-17-830


Consular Section for British nationals: ecuador.consulate@fco.gov.uk

General enquiries regarding the Embassy activities: britishembassy.quito@fco.gov.uk.

Wheelchair access at the British Embassy Quito - (Report COD: SP6-PV027 Dirección de Servicios Integrales)

The British Embassy Quito has a 60,32 accessibility percentage (medium accessibility index), and it can reach 94,60% (high accessibility index) by implementing changes.

Access and opening times