We represent the British government in its relations with the Russian government and support the range of British interests in the Urals region of Russia through broadly based cooperation which is of benefit to both countries.

Ekaterinburg’s Consular district covers: Sverdlovsk Region, Chelyabinsk Region, Perm Region, Kurgan Region, Republic of Bashkiria, Republic of Udmurtia, Orenburg Region, Tyumen Region, Komi-Permyatskiy Autonomous District, Khanty-Mansiyskiy Autonomous District – Yugra, Yamalo-Nenetskiy Autonomous District

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in the Urals region and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call 7 (343) 253 56 00. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in the Urals region, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British Consulate can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

If you arrived in Russia on Russian visa, its replacement must be obtained via visa sponsor in order to leave Russia. If you apply for an ETD because your passport has been lost or stolen, you will be expected to produce a Police report when applying for an exit visa from Russian authorities.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Consulate General Ekaterinburg.

Travel advice: For information and advice on travelling to Russia, see travel advice for Russia.

Get a visa

The British Consulate can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We issue certificates of no impediment. For information on getting married in Russia, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death in Russia. You can’t register a birth or death at the Consulate General or Embassy.

Bereavement support

If you’re in the country where the death occurred, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Russia. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We are not able to offer notarial services in Ekaterinburg, including administering an oath, affirmation or affidavit, witnessing a signature and certifying copies of UK documents. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide in British Embassy Moscow.

Legalisation services

Ekaterinburg Consulate-General does not provide legalisation services.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

List of lawyers and interpreters

Use our list of English speaking lawyers and our list of English speaking translators and interpreters if you need help with official transactions in Russia. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate General or the UK government.

Local service provider lists

We provide lists of:

Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Russia

What our consulates cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we also cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Russia.

Contact us

British Consulate-General Ekaterinburg

British Consulate-General Ekaterinburg
15A, Gogol Street

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Consular Section (Assistance to British Nationals): Monday to Friday, 9am to 12 noon (except public holidays)

Access and opening times

Corporate information