Change a vehicle load compartment for TIR border crossings

You need to apply to get a certificate if you change a load compartment to make sure it still meets the rules to be used under the TIR scheme.


Variation certificate covering changes to an authorised design-type of road vehicle load compartment application form

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


The TIR system allows UK customs officials to pack and seal goods before they’re transported outside the EU. The load won’t need to be inspected by customs officials at border crossings.

Vehicles must meet set rules to be used like this.

Use this form to apply to have changes you’ve made to a load compartments inspected to prove they still meet the rules.

Apply at least one month before the vehicle needs to be inspected. You have to pay a fee for the inspection.

Send the form online

Send the form using the service to apply for a vehicle test or certificate.

Send the form by post

Post the form to your nearest vehicle test station.

Published 11 July 2013