Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it


Report cheating, malpractice or wrongdoing to Ofqual

How to report concerns about cheating, malpractice, or wrongdoing in qualifications, schools, colleges and training centres.


Ofqual Whistleblowing Policy

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


It’s our job to maintain standards and confidence in qualifications. We regulate GCSEs, AS and A levels, and a wide range of other qualifications in England.

What you can whistleblow to Ofqual

You should let us know if you have a genuine concern about malpractice in a qualification or organisation that we regulate. For more information see  Ofqual Whistleblowing Policy (PDF, 143KB, 11 pages) .

If you work for an exam board, school, college or training centre you can let us know about cheating, malpractice or wrongdoing in a qualification or organisation regulated by us. First raise your concerns directly with your employer if you can. If you are whistleblowing as an employee, you may be protected. For more information see the government page on whistleblowing.

Parents, students and members of the public can also raise concerns about a qualification or organisation we regulate, a school, college or training centre.

Examples of disclosures to us are:

  • an awarding organisation employee informing us of the organisation’s malpractice or failure to comply with Ofqual’s regulations
  • a school or college employee informing us of a malpractice or wrongdoing at the school or college they work at
  • a learner or parent informing us of a school or college’s malpractice where they don’t feel able to contact the awarding organisation

Provide us with as much detail and supporting information as you can. We may contact you for further information. We will treat all information confidentially as far as we are able to.

What we will do

If your concern relates to a school, college or training centre we will ask the awarding organisation that has approved them to investigate. The awarding organisation will investigate and write to you. If you are unhappy with the outcome you can write to us again, telling us why you are not satisfied, and we will look into your concerns further.

If your concern relates to an awarding organisation, we will investigate the matter. We will write to you within 2 working days to acknowledge your concerns. We will treat your information sensitively and decide upon an appropriate course of action. We will write to you within 10 working days if we are able to investigate.

If it’s something we cannot look into and not appropriate for us to investigate we will contact you to see if we can refer it to another suitable organisation.

Report your concerns

You can fill out a report form to notify us of the malpractice or wrongdoing.

If you would prefer to call or write to us you can:

Case manager

Spring Place
Herald Avenue


The phone line is open on weekdays from 9am to 5pm