Whistleblowing: list of prescribed people and bodies

List of prescribed people and bodies you can report malpractice to, other than your employer.



If you decide to blow the whistle to a prescribed person rather than your employer, you must make sure that you’ve chosen the correct person or body for your issue.

This document is a list of the prescribed persons and bodies who you can make a disclosure to. There is also a brief description about the matters you can report to each prescribed person.

More information on whistleblowing.

Published 1 October 2014
Last updated 2 October 2018 + show all updates
  1. Change of address for Ofgem.
  2. We have updated the list to change the matters you can report to the following bodies: the Bank of England, Financial Reporting Council, General Pharmaceutical Council, the Secretary of State for Transport, and the Auditor General for Scotland.
  3. Social Care Wales added to list.
  4. The following bodies were added to the list: Wales Audit Office (Business, finance or fraud); Qualifications Wales (Education); Food Standards Scotland (Food standards); Office of Rail and Road (Health and safety); National Guardian's Office (Healthcare); Local government commissioners (Local authorities); and Older People's Commissioner Wales (Social care).
  5. Updated list of prescribed people and bodies.
  6. Updated to amend some administrative changes and summarise the existing Order.
  7. Ofqual's email address in publication BIS/15/43 updated.
  8. Reason for 27 Jan update: Revenue Scotland and Registers of Scotland added following their inclusion on 2014 Order, 1 Jan 2015
  9. New version of attachment published.
  10. First published.