National Insurance credits for adults who care for a child under 12: fact sheet

Guidance on whether you can get Specified Adult Childcare National Insurance credits if you are an adult caring for a child under 12.



National Insurance credits for people aged 16 and over and under State Pension age who care for a child under 12 were introduced from the 2011 to 2012 tax year. These are called Specified Adult Childcare credits. You have to apply to get these credits.

National Insurance credits may help to fill in any gaps in your National Insurance record. This can mean that you’ll still get the full State Pension and other benefits.

Find out more about National Insurance credits.

Published 14 May 2013
Last updated 19 May 2020 + show all updates
  1. Added guidance for NI credit applications during coronavirus (COVID-19). Guidance has been added to the Overview section.

  2. Updated fact sheet to provide more information on how Specified Adult Childcare credits work. Also clarified that the credits can be awarded retrospectively to 6 April 2011.

  3. Clarified the explanations of 'family member' in section 3.

  4. Updated to take account of the introduction of the new State Pension and to use more recent example dates.

  5. First published.