Research and analysis
Models of sporting and cultural activity: analysis of the Taking Part survey
A report detailing findings from multivariate analysis of the 2007- 2008 Taking Part Survey on the drivers of participation in culture and sport.
PDF, 343KB, 56 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This report presents findings from analysis of the Taking Part survey conducted by TNS-BMRB for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) on the predictors of participation in culture and sport.
TNS-BMRB produced models for participation across 5 sport and culture sectors, each broadly representing one element of PSA21’s Indicator 6i
- recreational physical activity and sport (participated in 30 minutes of moderate intensity level sport and active recreation on three or more days in the past week )
- arts activity (engaged in the arts at least three times in the past 12 months)
- museum and gallery visits (attended a museum or gallery at least once in the past 12 months)
- heritage site visits (visited at least two historic environment sites in the past 12 months)
- library visits (used a public library service at least once in the past 12 months)
The analysis used the 2007 to 2008 Taking Part dataset and was commissioned to gain a better understanding of the sort of behaviours and socio-demographic characteristics which predict participation.