This report presents findings from analysis of the Taking Part survey conducted by TNS-BMRB for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) on the predictors of participation in culture and sport.
TNS-BMRB produced models for participation across 5 sport and culture sectors, each broadly representing one element of PSA21’s Indicator 6i
- recreational physical activity and sport (participated in 30 minutes of moderate intensity level sport and active recreation on three or more days in the past week )
- arts activity (engaged in the arts at least three times in the past 12 months)
- museum and gallery visits (attended a museum or gallery at least once in the past 12
- heritage site visits (visited at least two historic environment sites in the past 12 months)
- library visits (used a public library service at least once in the past 12 months)
The analysis used the 2007 to 2008 Taking Part dataset and was commissioned to gain a better understanding of the sort of behaviours and socio-demographic characteristics which predict participation.