Licence to possess plants and animals for scientific purposes
- Natural England
- Part of:
- Plant licences, Natterjack toad licences, Otter licences, Reptile licences, Freshwater and migratory fish licences, Invertebrate licences: European protected species, and Class licences for wildlife management
- First published:
- 6 October 2014
- Last updated:
- 1 January 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
Get a licence to possess and transport dead specimens of certain plants and animals for scientific or educational purposes (licence CL01).
PDF, 188KB, 5 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This licence applies to the plants and animals listed in annex II(b) and IV of the EC Habitats Directive. It allows museums, research or educational establishments to possess and transport dead specimens of these species for the purposes of science or education. The specific organisations it covers are set out in annex A and B of the licence.
Register to use this licence
To register for this licence, you must notify Natural England in writing within one month of first possessing a specimen of one of the relevant species. Write to or email:
Wildlife Licensing (science, education and conservation)
Telephone 020 802 61089
How to report your actions
You must keep a register of any specimens or derivatives that you possess in relation to this licence. This information must be updated annually and be made available for inspection at any time by Natural England. Full details are provided in annex C of the licence.
Published: 6 October 2014
Updated: 1 January 2017
- Annual licence update 2017.
- Replaced licence with new version issued on 1 January 2016.
- Added revised version of licence. List of those who can use the licence has been updated.
- Updated class licence. New version valid 1 January to 31 December 2015.
- First published.