- Natural England
- Part of:
- Otter licences, Reptile licences, Bat licences, Great crested newt licences, Dormice licences Freshwater and migratory fish licences, Natterjack toad licences, Invertebrate licences: European protected species, and Wildlife and habitat conservation
- 28 February 2014
- Last updated:
- 17 July 2015, see all updates
- Applies to:
Apply for a licence to possess European protected species and Habitats Directive (annexes II(b) and IV) species for science and education.
PDF, 425KB, 15 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
You need a licence to possess European protected species, or species listed under Habitats Directive, annexes II(b) and IV. You can only get a licence for scientific or educational purposes.
Licences are free. Allow up to 30 working days for a licensing decision to be made.
Species listed under annex IV of the Habitats Directive
You need a licence to possess annex IV specimens. The licence you need will depend on when the species was taken and what type of specimen it is.
Use licence A37 (the application form is available on this page) for:
- animal specimens taken after 21 August 2007
- plant specimens taken at any date
Use class licence CL06 for animal specimens taken before 21 August 2007.
Published: 28 February 2014
Updated: 17 July 2015
- Replaced application form with revised interactive PDF version.
- First published.