Apply for Temporary Admission on goods imported from outside the EU (SP5)

Use the online service or postal form SP5 to apply for Temporary Admission on goods imported from outside the EU under Union Customs Code (UCC) procedures.


Apply online (sign in using Government Gateway)

Apply using the postal form (SP5)


Temporary Admission (TA) allows you to claim relief on duty and import VAT for goods you’re temporarily importing from outside the EU.

You can either:

  • use the online service
  • fill in the form on-screen, print it off and post it to HMRC

If you apply online you will need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID you can create one when you apply.

If you use the online service, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the process of your application.

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Before you start

Read the attached guidance to see:

  • who can apply for TA
  • what information you’ll need to apply
  • how to complete the form

Apply using the postal form

If you’re using an older browser, for example Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the postal form fully before you can print it. You cannot save a partly completed form so have all your information with you before you fill it in.

Notice 3001: special procedures for the UCC - annex C
This notice explains the legal basis and generic requirements of the customs special procedures under the UCC.

Published 13 January 2016
Last updated 2 February 2017 + show all updates
  1. Postal form has been updated.
  2. An online forms service is now available.
  3. First published.