The decisions reached by the government in the light of the 'High speed rail: Investing in Britain's future' consultation and an outline of the immediate next stages of the project.
Presented to parliament by the Secretary of State for Transport by Command of Her Majesty January 2012
On 28 February 2011 the government launched a national consultation, ‘High speed rail: Investing in Britain’s future’. The consultation set out the government’s proposed strategy for a national high speed rail network for Britain and the route for an initial line between London and the West Midlands.
The consultation asked seven questions, covering the government’s overall strategy, the proposed route for the London to West Midlands line, the environmental appraisal of this line, and options for supporting property owners affected by the proposals. The consultation closed on 29 July 2011. 54,909 responses were received.
The purpose of this document is to set out the decisions reached by the government in the light of the consultation on these issues. It also outlines the programme for the immediate next stages of the project, including consultation on property and blight proposals and the development of the hybrid Bill for the London-West Midlands line.
- Part I of this document sets out the government’s confirmed strategy for high speed rail
- Part II discusses the key issues raised in consultation responses
- Part III presents the next steps that the government will pursue on the project
Order a printed copy
Printed copies of this command paper are available from The Stationary Office.
- High speed rail: Investing in Britain’s future - the government’s decisions
- High speed rail: Investing in Britain’s future consultation summary report
- Review of the government’s strategy for a national high speed rail network
- High speed rail strategic alternatives study: Update following consultation
- Review of strategic alternatives to High Speed Two
- Economic case for HS2: updated appraisal of transport user benefits and wider economic benefits
- Economic case for HS2: Value for money statement
- Review of the technical specification for high speed rail in the UK
- Review of possible refinements to the proposed HS2 London to West Midlands route
- Summary of effects of HS2 London to West Midlands route refinements
- Review of HS2 London to West Midlands route selection and speed
- Review of HS2 London to West Midlands appraisal of sustainability
- Review of property issues
- HS2 revised line of route maps
- Do you think you are affected by the HS2 route?