Get a copy of a finding of fact of child abuse

Use this sample letter to get evidence that your partner abused a child, if you're applying for legal aid.



If a judge in a non-criminal court decides that child abuse has happened, it’s called a finding of fact.

The court should send you a copy of the court order with the finding of fact. To get another copy of the court order, you should:

  • fill in the sample letter as best you can
  • send it to the court that issued the order

It usually costs £5 for a copy but you may be able to get help with the fee.

You can use this as evidence if you’re applying for legal aid to stop an abusive partner seeing your child or to take away their parental responsibility.

Published 14 May 2014