Form N9B: Make a defence or counterclaim: specified amount

Defend a claim for a specified amount of money if you dispute it, or make a counterclaim for money you think the claimant owes you.


Amddiffyniad a Gwrth-hawliad (swm penodol) / Defence and counterclaim (Specified amount)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


If you are admitting part of the claim and defending the other part, you must submit this form together with Form N9 A: Offer to pay money you owe to a claimant. There are strict deadlines for submitting both forms.

Find out more about how to respond to a court claim for money.

You might find it useful to read the ‘Notes for defendant’ on Form N1: Make a claim against a person or organisation.

Check court and tribunal fees and find out if you can get help with fees.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 April 2013
Last updated 13 August 2018 + show all updates
  1. Updated N9B form added.

  2. First published.