Ebola: overview, history, origins and transmission
- Public Health England
- Part of:
- Viral haemorrhagic fevers: epidemiology, characteristics, diagnosis and management and Ebola virus disease: clinical management and guidance
- 15 April 2014
- Last updated:
- 19 August 2016, see all updates
The history of Ebola virus disease, animal reservoirs, routes of transmission and an overview of diagnosis and management.
Ebola virus emerged in 1976 in almost simultaneous outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Sudan. Since then outbreaks have occurred in both Central and West Africa.
Published: 15 April 2014
Updated: 19 August 2016
- Updated to reflect the current situation.
- Updated with information about West Africa outbreak.
- The map showing Ebola cases in Africa has been updated to the end of 2014.
- Updated information about transmission and incubation period.
- Updated account of historic outbreaks.
- First published.