A basic guide for businesses on the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.
This guidance was originally published by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and has been adopted by the CMA Board. The original text has been retained unamended, therefore it does not reflect or take account of developments in case law, legislation or practice since its original publication.
Please also note:
- all references must be read in the light of Consumer Protection: Guidance on the CMA’s approach to use of its consumer powers (CMA7); in the case of conflict, CMA7 prevails
- references to the OFT or the Competition Commission (CC) (except where referring to specific past OFT or CC practice or case law) should be read as referring to the CMA
- references to articles of the EC Treaty should be read as referring to the equivalent articles of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union
- certain OFT or CC departments, teams or individual roles may not be replicated in the CMA, or may have been renamed; the CMA’s structure is set out in our organisation chart
- do not use any contact details quoted; please go to the home page for details on how to contact the CMA