Bats: licence to take and possess live bats for rabies testing

Get a general licence to capture and temporarily possess live bats to test for European bat lyssavirus and kill those with the virus (licence GL25).


Licence to capture, temporarily hold and kill live bats for the purpose of European bat lyssavirus testing (GL25)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


As an authorised person, you need a licence to capture, possess or transport live bats for the purpose of testing for European bat lyssavirus (EBLV), a type of rabies. You also need a licence to kill any bats with the virus.

You are an authorised person if you’re:

  • a bat worker registered or working with the Bat Conservation Trust
  • an employee of approved quarantine facilities engaged in official business
  • an employee of the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) acting under the direction of APHA veterinary inspectors while engaged in official business
  • a member or fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons

You don’t need to apply for this general licence but you must meet its conditions and follow its instructions.

Published 16 April 2015
Last updated 1 January 2018 + show all updates
  1. Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2018
  2. Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2017
  3. Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2016
  4. First published.