Licence to sell animal specimens taken before October 1981
- Natural England
- Part of:
- Water vole licences, White-clawed crayfish licences, Otter licences, Reptile licences, Invertebrate licences: European protected species Freshwater and migratory fish licences, Natterjack toad licences, Bat licences, and Class licences for wildlife management
- 31 December 2013
- Last updated:
- 1 January 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
Get a licence to sell dead specimens of protected species legally taken from the wild before 30 October 1981 (licence CL07).
PDF, 243KB, 4 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
You can sell dead specimens of certain protected species with this licence, as long as they were legally taken from the wild before 30 October 1981.
This licence permits you to:
- sell animals listed under schedule 2 of the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations for scientific and educational purposes
- sell animals listed under schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (but not also schedule 2 of the 2010 regulations) for any purpose
You must register to use this licence and meet all its terms and conditions. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your name, or the person who will be responsible as licensee
- contact address, phone number and email address
How to record and report your use of the licence
You must keep written records for at least 2 years after each sale. Your records need to show:
- who you got the specimen from
- who you sold the specimen to
- the specimen’s species, the cause of death (if known) and when and where it was taken from the wild
- confirmation that the specimen was taken legally from the wild
You must be able to show these records to Natural England if requested.
Published: 31 December 2013
Updated: 1 January 2017
- Annual licence update 2017.
- Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2016.
- Added updated class licence. New version valid from 1 January to 31 December 2015.
- First published.