This leaflet can help healthcare professionals speak with people, following suspected or confirmed diagnosis of anencephaly.
This publication explains the neural tube defect anencephaly, a condition screened for by an ultrasound scan as part of the NHS fetal anomaly screening programme (FASP).
The document includes information for parents of a screened positive baby about:
- what the condition is
- how common it is
- how it is diagnosed and confirmed
- what treatment is available
- what the outlook for the baby is
- what happens next
- how likely it is to happen in future pregnancy
- where more support and information is available