UK House Price Index
The UK House Price Index is an official statistic that shows changes in the value of residential properties in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
In this guidance:
- Data sources
- Property attributes data
- Calculating the UK HPI
- The difference between the UK HPI and others
- Republishing data
- Data tables
- Searching the UK HPI
- Release dates
Access the data
Create your own reports from the data with our UK House Price Index tool.
Read our UK House Price Index reports and download the data.
Published: 14 June 2016
Updated: 18 July 2017
- Updated section 4.4 to add an example and information about the new register, also section 11 to remove the list of pre-release access.
- Section 1.1: update regarding experimental statistic status. Section 4.4 update to reflect changes to the UK HPI revision policy. Section 6: added details for House Price Statistics for Small Areas. Section 8.2: added explanation of the headers for the data downloads tables.
- Information about the ‘Revision to the UK HPI data’ added.
- Three dates corrected for 2018 in 'Section 10. Calendar release dates': 13 to 12 June, 18 to 17 July, and 15 to 14 August.
- Publication dates up to September 2018 added.
- Section 4.2: Calculating the standard average price: information about geometric mean and an example added.
- Welsh version added.
- UK HPI release dates from October 2016 to May 2017 added.
- First published.