About us

We provide free support for veterans and their families, including a helpline, Veterans Welfare Service, Defence Transition Services and injury/bereavement compensation scheme payments.

We also provide welfare support for veterans of any age, and their families through the Veterans Welfare Service and the Veterans UK helpline: 0808 1914 2 18.

Who we are

Veterans UK is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). We help ex-service personnel get appropriate support from government, local authorities, independent bodies and the charity sector.

Our responsibilities

We are responsible for:

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)

You can claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) for an illness or injury that was caused as a result of service on or after 6 April 2005. You do not need to have left the armed forces before claiming.

War Pension Scheme (WPS)

Assessment, award, payment and maintenance of war pensions, related allowances and other payments for those disabled or bereaved through service before 5 April 2005.

Armed Forces Pensions

Assessment, award, payment and maintenance of all pensions relating to service in the armed forces. This includes the armed forces pension schemes and reserve forces pension scheme.

Veterans Welfare Service (VWS)

Provides support to all veterans, their families and dependants. The Veterans Welfare Service focuses on providing assistance where a change in circumstances may have resulted in a welfare need. One to one advice is provided by phone or home visit when needed.

Defence Transition Services

Defence Transition Services (DTS) provides a full range of transition support for Service Leavers and their families, who are facing a challenging transition out of the military.

Veterans UK helpline

Our helpline staff offer specific advice on war disablement pension and armed forces compensation scheme claims. The helpline also offers advice on other issues including benefits, pensions, loans and grants, emergency accommodation, finding a job, retraining, health issues, welfare concerns, service records and medals.

We also have up to date information on central/local government and ex service organisations, and other voluntary groups.

Ilford Park Polish Home

Residential and nursing care home in Devon for former members of the Polish forces under British command in World War 2, or who were displaced from Poland following World War 2, or their spouses. Ilford Park Polish Home meets a wartime UK government promise made by Winston Churchill.

Contact us

Veterans UK
Tomlinson House
Thornton Cleveleys

Email veterans-uk@mod.gov.uk

Freephone (UK only): 0808 1914 2 18

Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043

8.00 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday

When the helpline is closed, callers will be given the option to be routed to The Samaritans 24hr helpline.

Corporate information

Access our information

Jobs and contracts

Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information.