Complaints procedure

If you are unhappy with the service you get from Veterans UK, there are different ways you can complain.


A complaint is defined as any expression of dissatisfaction about the service provided which is not resolved by operational staff as normal business.

We cannot investigate complaints:

  • about government policy or law
  • that have already been investigated or are currently being investigated by the Pensions or Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
  • that are, or have been, subject to legal proceedings, including legal settlements.

Mandatory reconsiderations and appeals are different

We can’t treat a complaint as a challenge to a decision which gives an outcome to a claim where there is an appeal right.

If you have had a decision on:

  • an Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) claim you will have to have a mandatory reconsideration before you can appeal the decision to an independent tribunal
  • a War Pension Scheme (WPS) claim you will have a right of appeal to an independent tribunal.

More information on how to appeal a War Pension or Armed Forces Compensation decision.

Internal Dispute Resolution Procedures are different

Armed Forces Pension members have the right to raise a complaint using the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedures (IDRP) process if they disagree with a decision or action taken by the scheme administrator. The single stage process will look at all aspects of the complaint along with any additional evidence or information provided.

For detailed guidance and frequently asked questions on the process, an IDRP factsheet is available:

How to complain

If you’d like to complain about any aspect of the service you’ve received when making your War Pension or Armed Forces Compensation claim, you can contact:

Veterans UK helpline
Freephone (UK only): 0808 1914 2 18
Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043

Veterans UK

If you’d like to complain about any aspect of service you’ve received in relation to your armed forces pension claims, you can contact:

Joint Personnel Administration Centre (JPAC)
Freephone (UK only): 0800 085 3600
Telephone (overseas): +44 141 224 3600

Mail Point 480
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
G2 8EX

You can contact us by phone, by email or by post. When you contact us, please tell us:

  • your National Insurance number, service or member number
  • your full name, address and contact numbers
  • what you are complaining about
  • what happened, when it happened and how it affected you
  • what you want to happen to put things right.

If you are emailing us please do not include your National Insurance number or service number, we will call you back to obtain this.

What happens next

We will arrange for a manager to contact you as soon as possible to discuss your concerns. If we’ve made a mistake, we’ll put it right as soon as possible.

If you are still unhappy, we will look at your complaint as part of our formal complaints process. This has stages and the first stage is to contact us at:

Veterans UK
Complaint Resolution Team
Room 6326

If you’re not satisfied

If your complaint relates to the handling of an Armed Forces Pension application you can complain to the Pensions Ombudsman at any time during or after the IDRP process.

You must contact the Pension Ombudsman within 3 years of the date of the original decision or action (or within 3 years of you becoming aware of it) about which you are claiming.

If your complaint relates to the handling of a War Pension or Armed Forces compensation claim and you’ve been through all our complaints stages, received our final response and you are still not satisfied, you can ask the Independent Complaints Panel to look at your complaint.

You must contact them within 6 months of getting our final response and send them a copy of it.

Independent Complaints Panel

The Independent Complaints Panel (ICP) cannot look at matters of law or government policy. They won’t look at any decisions which you can already appeal against or matters relating to the Armed Forces Pension Scheme.

If they accept your complaint, they will look at what happened and what we did about it. If they think we should have done more, they will ask us to put matters right. They will act as an impartial referee and you will not be charged for their service.

If you would like the ICP panel to review your complaint, you can contact the ICP secretary who will send you a form so that you can state the grounds of your complaint.

ICP Secretary
Veterans UK
Room 6326
Thornton Cleveleys

If you are emailing us please do not include your National Insurance number or service number, we will call you back to obtain this.

The Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman

If you do not agree with the response from the Independent Complaints Panel, you can ask your MP (or any other MP) to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

The Pensions Ombudsman

The Pensions Ombudsman can help if you are not satisfied with the handling of an Armed Forces Pension application. They are impartial, so will look at the facts of your case without taking sides. For more information about the Pensions Ombudsman, this fact sheet is available:

Factsheet - Pensions Ombudsman