We protect the security, independence and interests of our country at home and abroad. We work with our allies and partners whenever possible. Our aim is to ensure that the armed forces have the training, equipment and support necessary for their work, and that we keep within budget.
We have 7 military tasks:
- defending the UK and its overseas territories
- providing strategic intelligence
- providing nuclear deterrence
- supporting civil emergency organisations in times of crisis
- defending our interests by projecting power strategically and through expeditionary interventions
- providing a defence contribution to UK influence
- providing security for stabilisation
Our priorities 2015 to 2020 are to:
- protect our people
- project our global influence
- promote our prosperity
- maintain a strategic base and integrated global support network, and manage the Department of State
Read our Single Departmental Plan to find out more about how we are performing against our objectives.
Who we are
The Ministry of Defence has permanent and casual civilian personnel, including Royal Fleet Auxiliaries, Trading Funds and locally engaged civilians .
The UK regular forces comprise full time trained and untrained personnel in the:
- Royal Navy
- British Army
- Royal Air Force
Full personnel information can be found in the following publications:
Use of images
You may use images on this website when reporting current news only. See the MOD news licence.
Follow Defence in the media, the official news blog of the MOD, for headlines in the mainstream media about defence matters, our perspective on stories and listing of upcoming events.
Online resources for serving and ex-serving defence personnel, their families and friends for safe and responsible use of social media are available in Think before you share online.
Access our information
- Our energy use
- Complaints procedure
- Statistics at MOD
- Our governance
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Find out about our commitment to Welsh language scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.