The Ministry of Defence has 8 defence tasks:
- defence, security and resilience of the UK and its overseas territories
- nuclear deterrence and the defence nuclear enterprise
- contribute to improved understanding of the world through strategic intelligence and the
global defence network
- influence through international defence engagement
- overseas defence activity
- promote UK prosperity and civil society
- direct defence
- strategic base and enabling functions
Our priorities are to:
Read our Outcome Delivery Plan to find out more about how we are performing against our objectives.
The government is conducting an Integrated Review of Security, Defence, Development and Foreign Policy.
Who we are
The Ministry of Defence has permanent and casual civilian personnel, including Royal Fleet Auxiliaries, Trading Funds and locally engaged civilians .
The UK regular forces comprise full time trained and untrained personnel in the:
Full personnel information can be found in the following publications:
Our organisation charts
Use of images
You may use images on this website when reporting current news only. See the MOD news licence.
Follow Defence in the media, the official news blog of the MOD, for headlines in the mainstream media about defence matters, our perspective on stories and listing of upcoming events.
Online resources for serving and ex-serving defence personnel, their families and friends for safe and responsible use of social media are available in Think before you share online.
For guidance on the accessibility of Ministry of Defence content hosted on gov.uk and contact details for reporting any issues, please read our accessibility statement.