Statistics at Home Office
Producing Home Office statistics that count.
We produce and publish timely, accurate and objective statistics in the form of commentary, tables and data on the following:
- policing and police workforce
- alcohol and drugs
- animals in science
Our statistics support the Home Office objectives, and inform government, Parliament and the public.
The following statistical series are available:
- Crime statistics
- Migration statistics
- Policing statistics
- Alcohol and drug statistics
- Animals in science statistics
- Counter terrorism statistics
GOV.UK has the most recent Home Office statistics.
Home Office statistics from before May 2010 are found on the National Archive Research Development and Statistics web site.
Home Office official statistics are published independently as part of the code of practice for official statistics. Many of these are national statistics and subject to assessment by the UK Statistics Authority. They must meet certain criteria, which include being:
- fit for purpose
- methodologically sound
- politically independent
- transparently produced
For other official statistics, the code represents statistical best practice. We publish the following information to explain how we comply with the code of practice for official statistics (implementing the Statistics and Registration Act 2007):
- Home Office statement of compliance with the code of practice for official statistics
- Home Office statement of compliance: statistical release practice
- Home Office statement of use of administrative sources for statistical sources
- publication dates for the Home Office’s national statistics outputs are pre-announced on the ‘Statistics: release calendar’.
- documents detailing early access to statistics for quality assurance purposes and pre-release access to the finalised publications are contained within individual publications
The ‘Home Office statistical work programme 2014 to 2015’ outlines our outputs, recent developments and future plans.
For further information about the implementation of the code of practice, please email the head of profession for statistics.
For further information on statistics please email the most relevant team:
Crime and Policing Statistics: Crimeandpolicestats@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk.
Migration Statistics: MigrationStatsEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Chief Statistician’s Unit (statistics covered listed below): Csu.firstname.lastname@example.org
- police use of Taser
- police use of firearms
- firearm and shotgun certificates
- football-related arrests and banning orders
- animal scientific procedures
- alcohol and late night refreshment licensing