The Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) is an executive agency of Her Majesty’s Treasury (HM Treasury). We were formed in April 2015 to improve the quality of internal audit provided to central government.
Working across government, our unparalleled access, our expertise and the relationships we build lead to better insights and better outcomes for our customers, and for their customers, the UK public.
As the government’s primary provider of internal audit services, we lead the government internal audit profession and function. Our internal audit function now covers 75% of central government, at 13 departments and over 120 arm’s length bodies (ALBs).
We also have an award-winning counter fraud and investigation service, and support finance professionals across government in their role as stewards of public money.
Our people provide central government with objective, independent insight and assurance so it can achieve better outcomes with public money. Through rigorous evaluation and assessment, we help to develop better governance, risk management and internal controls.
Our mission and vision
We developed our mission and vision with the input of our customers and our people.
Our mission is to provide objective insight so that central government can achieve better outcomes and value for money for the public – better insights, better outcomes.
Our vision – by 2023 we will have made a step change in the value we add, in the respect that we command, and in the engagement of our people, by a persistent focus on five areas, which will ensure we are:
- Demanding on customer impact. We are demanding of ourselves and of our customers to maximise the impact we have through our work
- Unleashing our people’s talent and confidence. We are committed to our purpose and are proud to be working in GIAA
- Uncompromising on quality. We take pride in the high quality of our work and are commended for it
- Ambitious on innovation. We are forward-looking, seeking new ideas to keep us fresh, modern and effective
- Built on firm foundations. We strive to be the best we can as a trusted partner and exemplar of good governance.