We maintain the registration and licensing of drivers in Great Britain. We also maintain the registration and licensing of vehicles, together with the collection and enforcement of VED, in the UK.
This information helps us get the right drivers and vehicles taxed and on the road, as simply, safely and efficiently as possible.
We’re responsible for:
- recording driver endorsements, disqualifications and medical conditions
- issuing photocard driving licences
- issuing vehicle registration certificates to vehicle keepers
- taking enforcement action against vehicle tax evaders
- registering and issuing tachograph cards
- selling DVLA personalised registrations
- helping the police and intelligence authorities deal with crime
- providing anonymised data to those who have the right to use the service
From 2019 to 2020 our priorities, which align with our Strategic Plan 2017 to 2020, will be to:
- move to more agile and cloud based services
- build new infrastructures to provide a hub for motoring services
- continue to make compliance with the law simple and easy, focusing on reducing VED evasion
- continue to deliver safe and easy services including online processes for notifying a medical condition
- continue to provide excellent customer services providing both digital and alternative service channels
- create a state-of-the-art, modern workplace, so that staff can work in an environment where they have the training, skills and capabilities they need
Who we are
We’re an executive agency of the Department for Transport (DfT). We were originally called the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre (DVLC). Located in Swansea, we opened for business over 50 years ago after taking over responsibility from the local authorities, and are one of the largest employers in south Wales with over 6,000 staff.
We’ve been through a radical process of change, moving away from a paper-based organisation to a modern and highly efficient business. Over the last decade we’ve expanded our digital services and are now a multi-award winning government organisation, providing excellent digital services to our customers.