We’re the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) holding over 45 million driver records and over 39 million vehicle records. We collect around £6 billion a year in Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).
We maintain the registration and licensing of drivers in Great Britain and the registration and licensing of vehicles, together with the collection and enforcement of VED in the UK.
This information helps us get the right drivers and vehicles taxed and on the road, as simply, safely and efficiently as possible.
We’re responsible for:
- recording driver endorsements, disqualifications and medical conditions
- issuing photocard driving licences
- issuing vehicle registration certificates to vehicle keepers
- taking enforcement action against vehicle tax evaders
- registering and issuing tachograph cards
- selling DVLA personalised registrations
- helping the police and intelligence authorities deal with crime
- providing anonymised data to those who have the right to use the service
From 2017 to 2018 our priorities, which align with our Strategic Plan 2017 to 2020 will be to:
- move to more agile and cloud based services
- build new infrastructures to provide a hub for motoring services
- continue to make compliance with the law simple and easy, focusing on reducing VED evasion
- continue to deliver safe and easy services including online processes for notifying a medical condition
- continue to provide excellent customer services providing both digital and alternative service channels
- create a state-of-the-art, modern workplace, so that staff can work in an environment where they have the training, skills and capabilities they need.
Who we are
We’re an executive agency of the Department for Transport (DfT). We were originally called the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre (DVLC). Located in Swansea, we opened for business over 40 years ago, after taking over responsibility from the local authorities, and are one of the largest employers in south Wales with over 5,000 staff.
We’ve been through a radical process of change moving away from a paper based organisation to a modern and highly efficient business. Over the last decade we’ve expanded our digital services and are now a multi-award winning government organisation, providing excellent digital services to our customers.
Access our information
- Our governance
- Our energy use
- Equality and diversity
- Research at DVLA
- Media enquiries
- Complaints procedure
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Find out about our commitment to Welsh language scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use. Find out About our services.