Complaints procedure

How to complain if you’re unhappy with the service you get from DVLA.

If you’re unhappy with the service we’ve provided

You must first contact the department that you’ve been dealing with, this is the quickest way to resolve your issue. To deal with your concerns you’ll need to tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • your date of birth
  • your driver number (for complaints about your driving licence)
  • your vehicle registration number, including the make and model of the vehicle (for complaints about vehicle licensing, registration or enforcement)
  • any reference number we’ve provided on previous correspondence

If you’ve spoken to the department but your issue hasn’t been resolved, follow the 2 step process to make a formal complaint.

Making a formal complaint

Step 1

If you’ve tried to resolve matters with the department you’ve been dealing with and you’re not happy with the outcome, write to our complaints team telling them your concerns.

If you haven’t tried to resolve the issue before writing to our complaints team, we’ll get the relevant department to reply to you.

To make your complaint, contact or write to:

Complaints Team

We’ll acknowledge receipt of your complaint and aim to send you a full reply within 10 working days. If this isn’t possible, we’ll let you know and tell you when you can expect a reply.

Step 2

If you’ve been through Step 1 and you feel that your complaint hasn’t been resolved, write to our Chief Executive, who will make sure your case is reviewed and responded to within 10 working days.

Write to:

Chief Executive’s Office

You can also contact our Chief Executive’s office. Please don’t contact them with general enquiries, or if you haven’t yet made a formal complaint. If this happens, your complaint or enquiry will be dealt with or answered by the relevant department.

An independent review

If you think your complaint hasn’t been resolved through our 2 step formal Complaints Procedure, you can ask us to refer your complaint to an Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA).

They’ll review the way your case was handled and will expect you to have tried to resolve your complaint directly with us, in line with our complaints procedure before they consider your complaint. Find out more information about what the ICAs cover.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

If you’re not satisfied and you’ve had your complaint investigated by the ICA, you can ask a Member of Parliament (MP) to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

PHSO Millbank Tower

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Privacy notice

For further information about how we process your data, your rights and who to contact, see our privacy notice.