great.gov.uk is the government’s single destination for information on UK trade, investment, tourism and education.
Our services are provided in over 100 markets throughout the world. We are passionate about what we do. That’s why we constantly review our services in light of customer feedback and the impact they offer, which means they’ll vary from time to time.
If you have a comment or complaint about our services, please let us know.
Helping businesses sell overseas
great.gov.uk has tailored support and advice for businesses on how to start exporting or increase the amount of goods and services they sell overseas.
You can also:
Ask the export support team a question
If you’re a UK business selling goods or services to Europe, you can contact the UK government export support team for support.
The UK government’s credit agency, UK Export Finance (UKEF) helps companies in the UK to:
- win export contracts by providing attractive financing terms to their buyers
- fulfil orders by supporting working capital loans
- get paid by insuring against buyer default
Find out more about UKEF’s services and products.
Doing business with integrity
Doing business with integrity means conducting business responsibly, honestly and abiding by ethical principles. You need to consider how your business will deal with unethical practices in your operations and supply chain, such as:
- bribery and corruption
- human rights
- labour rights
- modern slavery
- gender inequality
Conducting business with integrity means you can:
- mitigate the risk of criminal activity and reputational or financial damage
- reassure business partners and clients of your trustworthiness
- outperform companies that are more susceptible to corruption
- help the UK maintain its status as a global leader in the fight against corruption
You can operate with integrity by:
- complying with legislation, such as the UK Bribery Act and the UK Modern Slavery Act
- having a robust corporate governance framework to prevent bribery and corruption
- identifying trustworthy partners abroad, which will enhance trust in your company
- being aware of potential modern slavery and other human rights abuses in operations and supply chains, and taking action to eliminate them
You can read more information about doing business with integrity on great.gov.uk.
Getting local market help to sell overseas
DIT has trade specialists who can help you commission services from local experts overseas. This includes:
- country and sector advice
- local market research
- support during overseas visits
- identification of possible business partners
- preparation for exhibitions and events
Contact a trade adviser in your region who can give you more information.
Find out about your current local market service
If you have an existing Overseas Market Introduction Service (OMIS) account and want to talk about something you have already commissioned, use your account details to sign in.
Helping overseas business locate in the UK
great.gov.uk brings together information about investing in the UK. It promotes our country as the natural choice for overseas investment. It includes:
- reasons why an overseas business should invest in the UK
- sector-specific information about the UK economy, including advanced manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, creative industries, energy, financial and professional services, food and drink, life sciences, retail and technology
- a way for overseas businesses to contact DIT staff in their country
Initially the information will be for investors from Brazil, Germany, India, Japan, Spain and the USA. We will be adding more countries and sectors during 2017.
We also provide access to support for UK inward investors who can help companies set up in the UK, usually via our worldwide network of embassies and consulates.
Helping UK businesses expand into overseas markets
Through our network of overseas posts and UK-based trade advisers, DIT can provide support for UK companies wishing to expand into overseas markets, including:
- information on the main forms of overseas investment
- reasons why UK businesses may consider expanding into overseas markets
- information on overseas investment opportunities for your products or services
Connecting overseas buyers with UK businesses
Our find a supplier service allows international buyers to connect with UK businesses. UK buyers looking to be listed on this service can create a business profile.
We link international businesses with the right UK partners and suppliers through meet-the-buyer events, networking receptions, and product launches.