The Department for International Trade (DIT) helps businesses export and grow into global markets. We also help overseas companies locate and grow in the UK.
www.great.gov.uk is the government’s single destination for information on UK trade, investment, tourism and education.
Our services are provided in over 100 markets throughout the world. We are passionate about what we do. That’s why we constantly review our services in light of customer feedback and the impact they offer, which means they’ll vary from time to time.
Helping businesses sell overseas
www.great.gov.uk has tailored support and advice for businesses on how to start exporting or increase the amount of goods and services they sell overseas.
- read guidance for new, occasional and frequent exporters
- find out about services offered by GREAT partners
- use the selling online overseas tool to find the best marketplaces to showcase your products online - you can take advantage of special deals negotiated by the government for UK businesses and find out more about the government’s e-exporting programme
- apply for overseas export opportunities for your products or services
- sign up to the find a buyer service, which will allow you to promote your products and services to international buyers
You can also:
- search for events, trade fairs, missions and webinars relevant to your sector or overseas markets
- apply for a trade show access grant to attend an overseas event
- read new and improved export guides to selling overseas in France, Germany, China, India and the USA - we will soon be refreshing all of our country guides
- contact a trade adviser in your area
The UK government’s credit agency, UK Export Finance (UKEF) helps companies in the UK to:
- win export contracts by providing attractive financing terms to their buyers
- fulfil orders by supporting working capital loans
- get paid by insuring against buyer default
Getting local market help to sell overseas
DIT has trade specialists who can help you commission services from local experts overseas. This includes:
- country and sector advice
- local market research
- support during overseas visits
- identification of possible business partners
- preparation for exhibitions and events
Contact a trade adviser in your region who can give you more information.
Find out about your current local market service
If you have an existing Overseas Market Introduction Service (OMIS) account and want to talk about something you have already commissioned, use your account details to sign in.
Helping overseas business locate in the UK
www.great.gov.uk brings together information about investing in the UK. It promotes our country as the natural choice for overseas investment. It includes:
- reasons why an overseas business should invest in the UK
- sector-specific information about the UK economy, including advanced manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, creative industries, energy, financial and professional services, food and drink, life sciences, retail and technology
- a way for overseas businesses to contact DIT staff in their country
Initially the information will be for investors from Brazil, Germany, India, Japan, Spain and the USA. We will be adding more countries and sectors during 2017.
Connecting overseas buyers with UK businesses
We link international businesses with the right UK partners and suppliers through meet-the-buyer events, networking receptions, and product launches.