The environment is fundamental to all that we do, and we must protect and enhance it. Our job is to make our country a great place for living. We do this by supporting our superb food, farming and fisheries industries, enhancing our beautiful rural environment, and better protecting against flooding, disease and other natural threats.
- a smooth and orderly exit from the EU
- a cleaner, healthier environment, benefiting people and the economy
- a world leading food and farming industry
- a rural economy that works for everyone, contributing to national productivity, prosperity and wellbeing
- a nation better protected against floods, animal and plant diseases and other hazards, with strong response and recovery capabilities
Read our Single Departmental Plan to find out more about how we are performing against our objectives.
Who we are
We have around 3,400 staff working in Defra, including policy makers, scientists and research specialists. Most of our staff are based in London, but we have others in Bristol, York and other offices throughout England.
Although Defra only works directly in England, it works closely with the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and generally leads on negotiations in the EU and internationally.
Defra publishes a range of corporate information on data.gov.uk including information on staffing and salaries.